Sunday, December 14, 2008

Tis the season


Yesterday was 40 degrees and gorgeous, today we are looking at 35 with rain, tomorrow even worse...ONE degree. I'm not a big fan of winter here. It makes me crabby.

Scotty got to go out yesterday. It was too nice to leave him in. His vet called to check up on him and gave the ok. I turned him out with our resident old bat, Maggie and our two weanlings, Jack and Finn. They have been socializing over the fence when Scotty is out back behind the barn, but this was the first time they were allowed in the pasture together. Everything went well.

Armed with my camera I turned him loose and let him do what he pleased. He found the water right away - must be a nice change from the heated bucket he has in his stall. He found the round bale and met the other horses. Maggie was not interested as she pinned her ears and tried to bite him. I yelled at her and she stopped dead in her tracks, like a kid busted with his hand in the cookie jar. She looked over at me so innocently like "It wasn't me". Yea right Mags! The babies walked up to him as if they wanted him to tell them some stories of his racing days. In the end, they all did their own thing and there was no drama.

At one point Scotty had spooked himself and took off at a canter around the field. He must be feeling better if he had the energy to do that, plus throw a small buck in there for good measure. He floats and it was fun to watch him move out. His atrophied muscles didn't seem to bother him one bit.

He'll be inside all day today and I'm sure he'll pout about it.

Since the holiday season is upon us, I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who has donated to the care of Scotty. For some reason this horse has touched so many of you and it's wonderful to see everyone band together to try to save him. He's not out of the woods yet and he has a long way to go still. I just wanted everyone to know how appreciative I am for your help. Have a wonderful day and as Joe from TBFriends says... be sure to hug your horses!!!


3 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

How old is he? He will be gorgeous when you get some food into him! Poor thing! To be discarded like that!!!! THANK YOU for working with him. He sure looks happy now! Can't wait to see future pics of "Happy Scotty"!

Linda said...

Scotty looks great! Thanks for taking care of him. Thanks for the blog about him. I hope he continues to make progress and what a glory he will be in the spring!
Linda

Annie said...

Thanks for the well wishes. I just figured out the comments section. DUH!