Thursday, June 11, 2009

Almost goodbye


I know it's been too long since I've posted. Nothing of consequence has happened regarding Scotty, really. Seems I, much like a lot of people have fallen victim to the economy. Never thinking I'd be in this position, I found myself temporarily trying to find Scotty, Emmett and Bonnie new homes. Suddenly not knowing if I'd have the income to support as many horses as I have is a scary feeling. Luckily, I think everything has smoothed out and for the time being I'm secure once again. A relief for sure.


Scotty continues to do well. He is out on pasture now and loving life. I have concerns as he has a lump in his throat latch area. No, it's not strangles and yes I'm sure about that. I continue to worry about the fluid pocket on his knee, which has not increased in size any. He is not off, nor does he appear to be in any pain so I have not made it an "emergency". Lastly I still fret about the nerve damage in his hind end. The atrophy is significant. I'll have to call Holly and have her come out to massage. Everything, non emergency status, had been put on hold until other things in my life had been ironed out. Now I can refocus and start again on his treatment. WHEW.

3 comments:

TBDancer said...

It has been awhile since I've visited the blogs I follow. Good to catch up--and a bit comforting to know that someone else has joined MY personal "journey to keep the critters." It is VERY scary out there and I am fortunate that I do have a steady (but pitifully inadequate ;o) source of income in the form of my teacher retirement check each month. I also have a part-time job that I got more for something to get me out of the house so I wasn't so isolated but is now actually helping pay the bills. Who'da thunk it?

On that note, fingers crossed that Scotty (who is looking WONDERFUL, I must say ;o) continues to thrive on pasture and that the massage and "Mom's" TLC will continue to help it lessen. My horse was born with a roach back and I've been taking him to monthly acupuncture visits and he is doing very VERY well. I know that you have a trusted veterinarian and all of those problems you mention (knee, knot and atrophy) are things the vet knows about.

Hang in there with the critters. I have two (the OTTB and his "friend") and they keep me very busy. They also keep me grounded and in these contentious times when our government thinks it knows best for us rather than doing what they were elected to do--SERVE the people--being grounded and making carefully thought-out decisions (also unlike our elected officials) because of our horses and other animals will get us through this.

Write more--even if it's a note or two about your day. I promise to visit more often myself--part of MY grounding ;o)

Strum Bum said...

Hi Annie,
You've done a wonderful job with Scotty. I had a circumstance this fall concerning Justin and a animal he was going to send to the kill. This horse was viable but had embarrassed him terribly at canterbury. So he sent him down here to Phoenix to rid himself of the horse. Strum Bum is still racing and loving every minute of his life away from Justin!
Keep up the good work!
Sonja

Caprice- said...

I am praying that all is well with you and Scotty. I have loved seeing him come back to life in your good hands. The economy has hit everyone and some of us harder than others. I pray that you are able to keep your horses. Please let us know how you are doing when you are able.
Caprice